Using a single LUT at a time
- Select a clip on your timeline.
- In the Lumetri panel on the right-hand side of the Premiere Pro interface, go to the Creative tab.
- Select the Input LUT dropdown menu, and click on Browse…
- Select a LUT file from the files you downloaded.
On a Mac:
- Open a new finder window.
- Navigate to /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs.
- Inside that, locate the “Creative” folder and open that. If it doesn’t exist, create it.
- Copy the LUT files in here. You need to copy the individual files and not the folder.
- If you haven’t already done so, restart Premiere Pro.
- The LUTS should now be available in the pop-up list in the Creative Tab of the Lumetri interface.
On a PC:
- Go to the C:// directory, navigate to \Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs.
- Inside this open the Creative folder. If it’s not there create it.
- Copy the LUTs. you downloaded into this folder.
- Restart Adobe Premiere Pro CC.
- The LUTS should now be available in the pop-up list in the Creative tab of the Lumetri interface.
1. Import Your Footage
To import a LUT in After Effects you’ll need some footage that you can apply it to. Start
by importing your clips and organizing your composition.
2. Find the Effects & Presets Panel
Once you have your clips in the composition, you’ll need to find the Effects & Presets
Panel. If you don’t see it within your workspace you can find it by clicking Window >
Effects & Presets.
The panel will then show up in your workspace allowing you to search for specific
effects/presets that you can apply to your layers.
3. Search for the ‘Apply Color LUT’ Utility
Now that you have the Effects & Presets panel open, all you have to do is search for
‘LUT’ or ‘apply color LUT’ specifically to find the utility you’ll use to apply LUTs in After
Click and drag the utility onto your clip and it will open your documents where you can
search for the specific LUT you’d like to apply to your footage.
After you select a LUT, it will be applied to the clip that you added the Utility preset to.
You can view the Effect Controls in the top left of your workspace where you can
reset the LUT and/or choose a different LUT for your clip if you’re going for a different
- Go to the effect browser int he FCPX interface
- Select the Colour Set
- Select the “Custom LUT” effect and apply it to your footage.
- In the effect controls, select the LUT pop-up menu and choose:
- “Choose Custom LUT…”
- Select a LUT from the folder of LUTS that you downloaded.
- Control the amount of the effect with the Mix slider.
Avid Media Composer
To install an external LUT:
1. From the Settings tab, select and open the Color Management Settings.
2. Click Install LUT.
3. Browse for your file, select it, and click Open to install it.
The LUT is now available in the list of color transformation in the Source settings.
This LUT will be part of the project. All sequences in the current project will be able
to access that LUT.
To apply an external LUT:
1. On the timeline, or in the bin, select the clip that you want to change, right-click
and choose the Source Settings.
2. Select the Color Encoding tab.
The Source Settings dialog box displays with the viewer showing the first frame of
the clip with the current color encoding.
3. Click the drop-down menu below the list of Color transformations.
The installed LUT(s) will be listed at the bottom, prefixed with the word External.
4. You can apply more than one LUT to the media and change the order in which
they are applied.